Wednesday, August 15, 2012

You Can Always Count on Change

School is officially in session.  The first day of school is always one of my favorite days of the year.  There is always a surplus of smiles on the first day of school, and the air is thick with excitement and anxiety.  I love this relationship between excitement and anxiety.  I think teachers and students feel this mixture of enthusiasm and nervousness because the beginning of a new school year always means change.

Yes, change is in the air.  The temperatures are changing, the leaves are changing, and the time I set my morning alarm for is changing.  Some of us embrace change while others avoid it at all costs.  In some ways I love change because it is exciting and it keeps me on my toes, and in other ways I am deathly afraid of the uncertainty.  After all, I have eaten the same lunch every day for over four years; I have rocked the same haircut for almost ten years; I’ve watched Jerry Maguire 7,826 times.  My wife gives me a hard time about my reluctance to change.  She tries to eat a different lunch each day; she likes to wear her hair in different styles; she likes to try different brands of toothpaste; and, she never watches a movie twice (unless you count A Christmas Story).

This school year is bringing change to me whether I am ready or not.  I have now made the full transition from teaching business courses (Accounting, Banking, and Investing) to math courses (Algebra and Problem Solving).  I am so excited for this change because I love math, and I have had many EXCELLENT math teachers in my past.  However, I am so nervous for this change because I am moving out of my comfort zone into the unknown.  To enhance my anxiety, our school district is making the change to Common Core Standards this year.  I don’t want to get in to too many details, but basically we are moving away from teaching the set of standards set forth by the State of Kansas, and we are adapting nationwide standards which are more rigorous and involved than our previous standards.  This change has flustered even the most experienced math teachers in our school, and has forced all the teachers in our district to rethink the way we are teaching our students.  I’m nervous.  Change can be scary.

My education and experience in business has taught me that change brings opportunity.  Since change is going to happen no matter how long I keep my eyes closed, I know that I better quickly open my eyes and search for opportunity.  Now that I think about it, this school year is going to be full of opportunity!  I have the opportunity to have an even greater influence on my students’ lives as I challenge their minds to new limits.  I have an opportunity to help my colleagues accept, adapt to, and embrace the Common Core Standards.  I have the opportunity to develop myself professionally into a more complete and impactful teacher.  I have the opportunity to make a difference.  Make a difference.  Isn’t that what it’s all about?  No matter what profession you have chosen, aren’t we all looking to make a difference?

It’s been said that change is the only constant.  Although I have control over the consistency of my lunch and my hair style (or lack thereof), change is happening all around me.  I’ve tried resisting change, and it only seems to make things more painful.  Starting today, I am going to embrace the change.  I think Charles Darwin helped to point out that the key to success, and sometimes survival, is often the ability to adapt.  I want to survive and be successful.  I better change.  I am going to adapt so that I can make a difference.  You heard me world, bring on the change!  But, I’m still going to have a ham sandwich on wheat bread along with twenty-three pretzels for lunch tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Change is good! Try turkey on that sandwich tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete